From 20th to 27th June 2012
University of Milano-Bicocca - Piazza dell'Ateneo Nuovo 1, Milano
Summer School on Borders, Sovereignty, Rights.
During the last two decades, a new geopolitical order has induced the transformation of previous political systems, including the European Union, and the reorganization of Western welfare states.
Starting from this global perspective, and in order to develop a fruitful cultural exchange between European countries and the United States of America, the Summer School on “Borders, Sovereignty, Rights” aims at analyzing the meaning that borders and fundamental rights have acquired in this new worldwide scenario, where, next to the inclusion of new citizens, “others” are being defined as “strangers.”
Wednesday 20 June, 9:30am - Building U7
- General Introduction to the Summer School by the directors,
- Politics and Rights in a Global Scenario
Thursday 21 June, 9:30am - Building U7
- Borders and Barriers in Europe
- Film Screening and Discussion
- Vernisage and Visit of the Exhibition Studio Mumbai Architects and the work of Wilfredo Prieto
Friday 22 June, 9:30am - Building U7
- Democracy, Interculturality and Learning Processes
- New International Research, Teaching, and Networking Students and Faculty
- Students’ working groups
Saturday 23 June - Touring of Milan
Sunday 24 June - Visit outside Milan
- Lago Maggiore: Stresa and the islands
Monday 25 June, 9:30am - Building U7
- Spaces of Difference
- Workshop: Imaginaries of Borders In Europe
Tuesday 26 June, 9:30am - Building U7
- Encountering Boundaries, Borders, Barriers
Wednesday 27 June, 10:00am - Building U7
This seminar is open to the public and all interested students and scholars
- Political Problems, Geographical Perspectives and Anthropological Analysis: a Global Cultural View
Directors: Prof. Marina Calloni (University of Milano-Bicocca) and Prof. Eileen Hunt Botting (University of Notre Dame).
Scientific Committee: Dr. Lorenzo Bagnoli (Università di Milano-Bicocca), Prof. Giovanna Borradori (Vassar College), Prof. Elena dell’Agnese (Università di Milano-Bicocca, Borderscapes), Prof. Regina Kreide (University of Gießen), Dr. Stefano Marras (Università di Milano-Bicocca), Prof. Vincenzo Matera (Università di Milano-Bicocca), Dr. Tanja Sekulic, (Università di Milano-Bicocca, Etnicos), Dr. Giorgia Serughetti (Università di Milano-Bicocca).