INTERNATIONAL HUMANITARIAN LAW
The course will provide an overview of the basic rules and principles that regulate the conduct of armed conflict, with particular attention to the protection of vulnerable persons.
In particular, the following issues will be addressed:
- sources and institutions
- international armed conflicts and internal armed conflicts
- the conduct of hostilities
- the protection of vulnerable persons
- the protection of the cultural heritage during armed conflicts
- the protection of the natural environment during armed conflict
Reading lists will be distributed in advance of the seminars and material will also be distributed during the seminars. Students attending seminars may prepare the exam on the basis of the material distributed during the seminars.
Students not attending the seminars may prepare the exam on the following textbook:
E. Crawford and A. Pert, 'International Humanitarian Law', Cambridge University Press, 2015.