- Maturità classica (High School with literature and philosophy orientation) at Liceo Ginnasio Statale G. Carducci, Milano, July 1981.
- Laurea (Master) in Electronic Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, February 1989.
- Ph.D. in Computer and control engineering, Politecnico di Milano, December 1992.
- Research assistant with IBM/Semea fellowship, at Politecnico di Milano, for the contract "Automatic error recovery in assembly robots", after the Laurea and before entering the PhD programme.
- PhD fellowship from Politecnico di Milano, during the 3 years of the PhD programme.
- Research associate with AIRlab of Politecnico di Milano, for working after different active projects.
- "Professore a contratto" (adjunct professor) and "addetto alle esercitazioni" (teaching assistant) for courses in Computer Architecture, Industrial and Mobile Robotics, Computer Vision for Politecnico di Milano (classes given in Milano and Lecco).
- Research associate at "Vision and robotics laboratory", Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, King's College, London (U. K.), for the project "Integration of vision and path planning for an arc welding workcell", from April to October 1994.
- "Professore a contratto" (adjunct professor) for courses in Industrial and Mobile Robotics, Computer Vision for Politecnico di Milano (classes given in Cremona).
- CNR fellowship, at Politecnico di Milano, under the contract "URMAD: mobile robotic unit for the aid to handicapped people", from January to June 1995.
- From July 1995 ricercatore (assistant professor) in computer science, with Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Informazione, Università degli Studi di Milano.
- From July 1998 ricercatore confermato (tenured assistant professor) in computer science, with Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Informazione, Università degli Studi di Milano.
- In January 1999, when Università degli Studi di Milano - Bicocca was founded, he moved there, with Dipartimento di Informatica, Sistemistica e Comunicazione.
- From March 2005 he is professore associato (associate professor), in computer engineering, with Dipartimento di Informatica, Sistemistica e Comunicazione.
- From March 2008 he is professore associato confermato (tenured associate professor), in computer engineering, with Dipartimento di Informatica, Sistemistica e Comunicazione.
- Computer and robot vision, mainly for autonomous vehicles (3D reconstruction, SLAM, self-localization, tracking, etc.).
Reviewing and other publication - related activities
- Reviewer for the Italian Ministry of University and Research (Iscritto all’Albo Revisori MIUR - Reprise) PRIN and FIR proposals, informal helper to other reviewers for MISE (Ministry of Economics) proposals.
- Reviewer for the Croatian Science Foundation.
- Reviewer for journals and conferences in the area of perception for autonomous vehicles, and computer vision (IEEE Trans. Intelligent Transport Systems, IEEE Trans. Intelligent Vehicles, IEEE Trans. Instrumentation and Measurements, Pattern Recognition, Robotics and Autonomous Systems; IET Computer Vision, IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Int. Conf. On Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Intelligent Autonomous Vehicles (IAV), Intelligent Autonomous Systems (IAS), Intelligent Transportation System Conf. (ITSC), Int. Conf. Pattern Recognition Systems (ICPRS), Int. Conf. on Imaging for Crime Detection and Prevention (ICDP), and other publication venues
- Co-chair (with G. Lakemayer and E. Sklar) of the 2006 Robocup Symposium.
- Co-chair (with L. Iocchi) of the 2007 Robot Vision workshop.
- Co-chair (with L. Iocchi) of the 2008 Robot Perception workshop.
- He currently teaches Computer architecture, and Industrial Robotics for the laurea programme (bachelor), Computer and Robot Vision for the laurea magistrale programme (master), Bayes Filtering for the Ph.D. programme.
- Member of the PhD board of the "computer science" programme at Università di Milano - Bicocca until the 28th cycle.
- European programmes (CROMATICA, RAWSEEDS), national programmes (PRIN MADSYS, PRIN ROAMFREE, Fondo Agevolazioni Ricerca HCIM), Lombardy region programmes (OMMAVE, PCP BED-MOVER), and private companies (Project Automation s.p.a., Magneti Marelli s.p.a., RSR s.r.l., etc.)
Membership of technical societies and organization of technical activities
- Member of IEEE (Robotics and Automation society, Intelligent Transport System society), IAPR (International Association for Pattern Recognition), Italian chapter.
- Organizer of the Robocup middle size league world championships in 2005 and in 2007 (including setup of tournaments, participation to rule definition, which was the main aspect driving the research, maintenance of the website, training of the referees, minutes of technical meetings, etc. etc.).
- Participation to the National Robot Soccer team (training, and competitions both European and World Robocup Championships, other events at science fairs in Bergamo and Genova).
- Participation to the Milan Robocup Team (training, and competitions at the World Championships).
- Live events of autonomous driving (Electrical Intelligent Vehicles - Milano, Wired Next Fest - Milano, MeetMeTonight - Milano, specific events at Museo Nazionale della Scienza e Tecnologia - Milano, RoboBusiness Europe - Milano, Parco Tecnologico Padano - Lodi, piazza Città di Lombardia presso sede regione Lombadia - Milano, etc.).
- Interviews on autonomous road vehicles, both technical, legal and ethical aspects (Radio24, Rai3 Scienza, different newspapers), Facebook live intervention about accidents of autonomous cars.
- Technical review of the autonomous car field in a few workshops focused on road safety, civil and penal liability issues, and insurance issues of autonomous cars.
- He has been appointed "robot benchmarking expert" by the eec-funded project "RoSta" (robotic standards) for its role in the eec-funded project "RAWSEEDS" (collection of multisensorial datasets for benchmarking of autonomous robotics developments)